Mallorca | Tour on the east coast beaches
The east side of the island of Mallorca is, for us, the one with the most beautiful bays (called cala) and beaches on the entire island.
What to visit in Mallorca? This is the first thought we had when we conceived our trip to this Balearic island. The island is big and we intended to get to know and enjoy the beaches considered to be the most impressive and the most beautiful on the island. After putting them on a map, we realized they are located on the east coast. That’s how we planned our trip and chose to stay in the Ses Salines region, close to the Santanyí region. This choice also considered the fact that this area is much quieter than a stay in Palma de Mallorca or its surroundings.
In this post we will show you the beaches we visited and the ones that, despite being on our list, we were not able to visit. These can be visited in just one day (since they are within walking distance) but we advise you to enjoy this sea with crystal clear and very warm waters. For this reason, unless visiting in winter, spend a few hours on each of the following suggestions.
Platja des Trenc and Platja Estanys
Next to Còlonia de Sant Jordi in Ses Salines are several beaches, surrounded by salt pans and pine trees. Platja Estanys is located close to the Marqués hotel. The sand continues up to Platja des Trenc and forms a large bay. In it, we can swim in a calm and very shallow sea. These beaches have some support, with lifeguards and beach bars having quite considerable size so it is easier to find a space on the sand.
On the horizon, sailboats and yachts take advantage of the calm sea to enjoy the beach.
hotel compare tool from hotelcombined
From our accommodation (in Colònia de Sant Jordi) to Cala Llombards, in Santanyí, it took us little time to have a rental car, which allowed us to arrive early and arrange parking in the small park next to Cala.
This bay has a reasonable size of sand, a support bar, a lifeguard and a rental of Stand Up Paddle.
It is without a doubt one of the most beautiful and photogenic coves we have visited. The water is translucent and you will definitely not want to get out of it. This is the most important aspect for us. We didn’t even look for space on the sand to spread a towel because we didn’t consider it necessary.
On the sides of the bay, there are small trails where you can walk along the rock and jump into the water or take several photos to boost your Instagram likes.
To be able to enjoy this bay, arrive early. That’s the only way you can find a parking spot next to the beach.
Relatively close, at the entrance to the residential area, there is another public parking lot that can be used to access more bays.
Cala d’Or is an urban and very touristy area, where condominiums, hotels and a marina are located. Here there are also several coves that are worth a visit: we suggest Cala Ferrera or the small Cala Serena, both very close. We chose to spend a few hours in the small Cala Serena.
In it we can enjoy a small beach, calm and warm water, and observe small fish next to the rocks and the various small private docks of the existing houses in the bay.
Platja de S’Amarador e Cala Mondragó
The Mondragó Natural Park protects an area of the east coast where there are some pine forests and other cultivated land, such as almond trees. Both Praia de S’Amarador and Cala Mondragó are located in the Mondragó Natural Park, with vegetation between pine forests, almond trees and others.
Upon reaching the natural park and heading towards Platja de S’Amarador, you will find a guarded and paid car park.
After leaving the car, it is necessary to take a short walk to the beach. On this walk, we can go through some trails through the pine forest or follow the most direct route. When we arrive at S’Amarador beach, we glimpsed a sea in blue tones, surrounded by an extensive green. It is a sandy beach of some size with beach support and lifeguards.
This is connected by a small trail, by the sea, quite pleasant to do, until the Mondragó cove. Cala Mondragó is smaller than the beach, but it is also beautiful. The water is very warm and the waves are non-existent, as on all Majorca beaches.
Other equally interesting beaches to visit
Santanyí is one of the regions where calas are its ex-libris. In addition to the ones already mentioned, because they were the ones we were able to visit during our stay, there are others that we would very much like to have had the opportunity to visit.
One of them is Cala des Moro, a small cove and one of Mallorca’s postcards. However, due to its beauty, it is also a very popular cove, so there is not much space for everyone. In addition, the parking lot is located close to Cala Llombards and early in the morning, it was already full.
Next to it is the small Cala de S’Almunia, a beach without sand and where you can find some support houses and small boats. From the photos we’ve seen, it’s very photogenic.
Map: east coast beach tour
The following map shows the coves and beaches mentioned in this post. Obviously, there are many more interesting beaches and coves in the municipality of Ses Salines and Santanyí to visit, but in order to enjoy the temperature of the water, it is not possible to know them all.
Plan your trip using the following tools and/or website
Using the following links and tools on the website you are helping to maintain Scannertrip. This use is the same for you and you do not pay more for it. For Scannertrip it makes all the difference!!
- To find the best stays use Booking. It is one of the best websites for booking stays and always with some promotions on some destinations. The reliability and ease of booking and cancelling make it even the most popular.
- To compare prices for your Stays you can use the Hotels Combined or hotellook. These search engines show different prices from other websites for the same destination. There may possibly be a lower price for the same hotel on another website and these search engines will show it.
- When you are preparing what to do at your destination, you will obviously search for activities to occupy you. Use this activity comparator in the scannertrip provided by Musement, or tiqets or the civitatis.
- Transfers to and from the airport can be purchased via the website kiwitaxi. So you don’t need to get in touch with the different companies in your destination looking for the best price.
- If you choose to rent a car, also use the price comparators. The autoeurope website compares prices from different rental companies.
Tips for your stay in Mallorca
There are many accommodations spread across the island of Mallorca. Choose the one that you consider most suitable for the purposes of your trip.
Or choose from the most popular options in the area.
Did you like to know our tips about some beaches in Mallorca? You will certainly find reasons on the island of Mallorca for a dream vacation and we hope that this little guide will be useful to you. Enjoy and discover the other corners of the island. If you are curious, you can read other articles about the Balearic Islands.
- Huelva, the city in southwest Spain
- Mallorca | paradise in the Mediterranean
- Cala Pi | The best viewpoint in Mallorca
- Caminito del Rey – The radical experience in Spain
- Mallorca | Tour on the east coast beaches
- Valencia, Spain – three-day itinerary
- Cádiz in Andalusia, south of Spain | One day trip
- Andalusia tour – a tour in southern Spain
- Setenil de las Bodegas: the Andalusian village that is known the village that is known for the houses and streets under the rocks
- Ronda, the Andalusian city that is known for its bridge