Embark on an exhilarating journey across the Guadiana River, soaring through the air on an awe-inspiring cross-border zip line from Spain to Portugal.
We had known about this zipline for some time and were curious to explore it. Internet booking is easy and so is access.
The zip line
The zip line is located on a hill next to Sanlucar, Spain and descends vertiginously over the Guadiana River to Alcoutim, Portugal. These two villages are crossed by the Guadiana River and with no other way to connect them, they can only be crossed by boat and now by zip line.
The zip line has a height that varies between 15 and 30 meters, depending on the water level in the river. You will be able to reach a speed of up to 80 km/h, for an experience full of adrenaline.
How to make the reservation
To book a zip line trip, just go to the limitzero website, check availability and make the reservation. It happened to us that they contacted us to readjust the schedule since the existence of multiple reservation systems was causing some confusion to the small Spanish company that operates this attraction.
Booking does not include boat crossing from Portugal. This can be done on a small boat connecting the shores every 30 minutes daily. The reservation is made in Spanish hours.
Once you arrive at the Sanlucar small dock, go to a small shop next to the coffee in front of the dock. There, some of the safety instructions were given, the harness and we waited for the van that took us to the starting point.
The Guadiana River
For those who don’t know, this Algarve region has a lot to explore. Starting with the Guadiana River, which is an international river that runs on the border between Spain and Portugal. It is the fifth largest river in the Iberian Peninsula, with a length of 829 km, which is why crossing it is amazing. Nature also abounds in this less populated area than the region next to the beaches. Here the white storks, otters or eagles still make some appearances.
Alcoutim and Sanlucar
Alcoutim in Portugal is a village located on the left bank of the Guadiana River. The first impression of the village is its tranquillity, due in part to the isolation and the few inhabitants. It is a region rich in
natural landscapes and culture. In Alcoutim you can visit its small castle, the old and new pier and the chapel. In summer, you can’t miss visiting its river beach and, of course, exploring the village’s gastronomy.
Sanlucar is located opposite Alcoutim and also has a castle, gardens, a small river beach and typical Spanish cuisine.
Crossing requirements and safety
Like all extreme entertainment, there is always some risk involved and a great deal of excitement. The security requirements are not many, but in order not to book and then not be able to cross, keep in mind the following:
This is in operation mainly in the summer and with a typical Spanish schedule. It works until around lunchtime and then at the end of the day.
Find your journey
Plan your trip using the following tools and/or website
Using the following links and tools on the website you are helping to maintain Scannertrip. This use is the same for you and you do not pay more for it. For Scannertrip it makes all the difference!!
- To find the best stays use Booking. It is one of the best websites for booking stays and always with some promotions on some destinations. The reliability and ease of booking and cancelling make it even the most popular.
- Transfers to and from the airport can be purchased via the website kiwitaxi. So you don’t need to get in touch with the different companies in your destination looking for the best price.
- If you choose to rent a car, also use the price comparators. The autoeurope website compares prices from different rental companies.
Enjoyed getting to know this zipline! Do you feel like going? Also, visit the interior of the Algarve. Take the road between Vila Real de Santo António and Alcoutim along the Guadiana River.
- Ria Formosa Natural Park, Olhão – Environmental Education Center
- Barranco do Demo Walkway: An Adventure Tour in the Algarve
- Crossing the Guadiana River in Algarve from Spain to Portugal on a zipline
- Discovering the beauty of Paiva Walkway and the emotion of crossing the 516 Bridge
- Falesia Beach: Guide to the number 1 beach in Albufeira and Vilamoura
- Discover the Wonders of Serra da Freita at Arouca Geopark, North of Portugal
- The wonders of Arouca, Portugal that you need to know
- Explore Coimbra: A Two Day Tour Guide
- Pedestrian Trail in Ferragudo, Algarve
- Best beaches in the Algarve from Aljezur to Sagres